BOB DYLAN // COVERED
Here you will find a collection of covers from Dylan’s catalog as performed by indie and alternative artists from the past couple of decades. Now, I know everyone is going to have one million and one comments as to what I left off or forgot, and I assure you that I’m aware that Dylan is one of the most oft-covered (if not THE most) artist of all time and that there are hundreds of beautiful covers stemming back to the days when the originals were written. I tried instead to source out some of my favorite recent covers by modern artists, while not sticking too tightly to any one tribute album (and there are several) or source. Naturally, in addition to all of the recent selections, I had to include my overall favorite Dylan cover of all time because it’s not immediately well known, and that track is “Baby Blue” by the Thirteenth Floor Elevators (rumored to be one of Dylan’s favorites as well).
So without further ado, here are classic songs by Bob Dylan as re-interpreted by various artists over the years.
PLAYLIST: (individual tracks have links, full mixtape link at bottom)
- the thirteenth floor elevators - BABY BLUE
- wilco and fleet foxes - I SHALL BE RELEASED
- the morning benders - OUTLAW BLUES
- the black keys - THE WICKED MESSENGER
- the walkmen - SUBTERRANEAN HOMESICK BLUES
- cat power - STUCK INSIDE MOBILE WITH THE MEMPHIS BLUES AGAIN
- metric - DON’T THINK TWICE, IT’S ALRIGHT
- phoenix - SAD EYED LADY OF THE LOWLANDS
- marissa nadler - YOU’RE GONNA MAKE ME LONESOME WHEN YOU GO
- asobi seksu - BOB DYLAN’S 115TH DREAM
- atlas sound - THIS WHEEL’S ON FIRE
- robin pecknold - IT AIN’T ME, BABE
- sufjan stevens - RING THEM BELLS
- castanets - MAGGIE’S FARM
- the helio sequence - MR. TAMBOURINE MAN
- yo la tengo - FOURTH TIME AROUND
- mason jennings - THE TIMES THEY ARE A-CHANGIN’
- dm stith - GATES OF EDEN
- crystal antlers - IT’S ALL OVER NOW, BABY BLUE
- dirty projectors - DARK EYES
- antony & the johnsons - KNOCKIN’ ON HEAVENS DOOR
- the secret machines - GIRL FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY
(download) Bob Dylan // Covers
Don’t be afraid to reblog and share with friends. Follow Quarterwhipped for more mixtapes and daily music posts. Thank you and Enjoy!
This is amazing. I can personally recommend Metric’s cover of Don’t Think Twice.
There were some really loving, caring moments between four people: a hotel room here and there… A really amazing closeness. Just four guys who really loved each other.
STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER (TAKE 1) — The Beatles
You know I know when it’s a dream
#YOUR VOICE what is it what is this thing that lives inside of you what is iiiiiiiiit it’s like a golden bird inside a golden cage who only comes once in a while to sing but when it does WHEN IT DOES the sounds that come out OH THE SOUNDS what is this sorceryyyyyyyy you’re the smell of fresh nutella cupcakes in the morning of new ballpoint pens. you’re the feel of early morning shagging, of holding hands when no one is looking. you’re the warmth that comes from drawing threes around the hand-veins of someone who’s already flowing through yours… er. that is, i think it’s not to bad. your singing, i mean.
themedparty challenge 03 - the past | Spike’s origins in Fool for Love
“What can I tell you, baby? I’ve always been bad.”